Niçoise Salad (Vegan)
This resplendent summer salad is as much a feast for the eyes as it is for the taste buds. It comes together within 30-35 minutes and makes a great light meal on its own. The best feature is that it offers a delicious way of having four servings of vegetables in one shot.
To make the lentils
- 1-1/3 cups brown lentils (soaked overnight or for at least 6 hours)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste, no more than 3/4 tsp)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
For the salad
- 2 potatoes (medium, ~1-1/2 cups, washed, peeled, thinly sliced)
- 8 oz green beans (washed, ends trimmed)
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes (~1-1/2 cups, green part removed and halved, can sub with 3 regular tomatoes)
- 1 head butter lettuce (or any other type, ~4-5 cups)
- 12 Kalamata olives (or any other variety, rinsed in water, optional)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
To make the dressing
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (~1 large lemon, can sub with balsamic vinegar)
- 1 tbsp basil leaves (minced, or sub with 2 pinches of dried basil)
- 3 pinches pink Himalayan salt (or any other type)
- 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves (stems removed, washed and finely minced, optional)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp date syrup (optional)
To make the lentils
Add the soaked lentils to a colander and wash thoroughly under running water. Add the lentils, water, garlic, and salt to a heavy bottom pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; then reduce the heat and simmer until lentils are soft but not mushy (~12 minutes). Once done, drain the extra liquid in a fine-mash sieve. While the lentils get cooked, get started on preparing the veggies.
To prepare the veggies
Add water to a steamer and bring to a boil. While the water comes to a boil, wash and prepare all the veggies. Add the beans and sliced potatoes to the steamer and steam for until cooked through, but not oversoft (~7-8 minutes).
*replace brown lentils with equal amount cooked chickpeas or white beans. If using canned, rinse under running water in a sieve.
**if watching for high salt intake, omit the olives.
***to make the balsamic version of the dressing, add 2 tsp date syrup to 4 tbsp of balsamic vinegar keeping all other ingredients same as given above.
Calories: 212kcalCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 9gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 794mgPotassium: 967mgFiber: 10gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 2144IUVitamin C: 49mgCalcium: 79mgIron: 4mg