Black Bean Brownies: Healthy and Tasty
These vegan, gluten-free, brownies taste great without the addition of any unhealthy ingredients--white flour, oil/butter, and processed sugar.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats (quick-cooking or traditional, can sub with non-gluten free)
- 1-15oz can black bean (preferably organic, low-sodium, can sub with about 2 cups salt-free black beans)
- 2 tbsp ground chia seeds (or sub with equal amount ground flax seeds)
- 6 tbsp water (room temperature, to make chia egg)
- 2 tbsp almond butter* (can sub with equal amount coconut oil or avocado oil or any other)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 pinches Himalayan pink salt (or any other)
- 1/3 cup cacao powder (or sub with equal amount 100% pure cocoa powder; for more intense flavor increase the amount to 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup water (warm to touch)
- 6 medjool dates** (or any other variety)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup**
- 4 tbsp chocolate chips (divided equally in two parts)
- 1 tsp oil*** (for preparing the baking dish)
Start out by making the chia egg. Mix ground chia powder with water and mix well with a fork or small whisk until a gelatinous mixture forms. Set it aside for at least 10-15 minutes.
Add seeded dates to 1/2 cup warm water; keep for at least 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can add seeded dates to 1/2 cup water and microwave for a 1 minute.
Pre-heat oven to 350°F (~176°C). Prepare an 8x8 baking dish by smearing oil and wiping the excess with a paper towel.
Add canned black beans to a sieve and wash thoroughly under running water. Let the water drain completely.
Add oats to a food processor and process until grounded into fine powder. Add black beans, soaked dates with water, maple syrup, baking powder, almond butter, chia egg mixture, salt, cacao powder, and 2 tbsp chocolate chips. Process until well mixed. Scrape the mixture intermittently for even mixing.
Take the mixture out in the pre-prepared baking pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes. At around 30 minutes, test with a fork or toothpick. When inserted into the brownie, the fork (or toothpick) tip should be clean. Take the pan out of oven and let it cool over a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Cut the brownies in the desired denomination and let cook on the cooling rack. Enjoy with Multipurpose Almond whipped cream.
*can sub with equal amount cashew butter. For a nut-free version replace either with equal amount coconut, avocado, or any other oil or your choice OR with sunflower seed butter.
**You can substitute dates with 1/2 cup room temperature water and 1/2 cup sugar.
**You can substitute maple syrup with 1/4 cup room temperature water and 1/4 cup sugar.
**substitute dates and maple syrup with 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar.
***to avoid using oil completely, use parchment paper cut out to 1" bigger than the baking space on the pan.
Serving: 1PieceCalories: 113kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 3gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 53mgPotassium: 212mgFiber: 4gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 22IUCalcium: 50mgIron: 1mg