Quinoa & Adjuki Bean Burger with Sweet Potato
These quinoa and adjuki bean burgers offer a hint of Mexican flavors, plenty of fiber, and benefits of vitamin A-loaded sweet potatoes.
- 1/2 cup quinoa (dry) (white variety, can sub with equal amount millet)
- 1/2 cup adjuki beans (dry) (can sub with equal about dry red kidney beans or 1 cup canned)
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 5 tsp avocado oil (divided 1tsp+4 tsp)
- 1 medium onion (~ 1 cup, roughly chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (roughly minced)
- 8 oz sweet potato (~1 medium, baked and peeled)
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and roughly chopped, or to taste)
- 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper powder (or to taste, can sub with red chili powder)
- 1 tsp homemade roasted ground cumin (or sub with store-bought cumin powder)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or sub with white vinegar)
- 1 tbsp flax meal* ( can sub with equal amount ground chia seeds)
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lime juice (~1/2 lime)
- 1/2 tsp lime zest (~1/2 lime, use the same lime before juicing, optional)
Make the burgers
Cook the chopped onions and garlic over medium heat till the onion is translucent and cooked through (do this step while quinoa and beans are cooking). This step is optional. You can skip this step and add raw onion and garlic to the burger mix when processing.
Add cooked quinoa, adjuki beans, cooked onions with rest of the ingredients to a food processor and process till well mixed.
Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and press into burger shape.
To cook, heat (not smoke)1/2 tsp of oil on an iron skillet and add the burger patty. Cook about 2-3 minutes each side over medium heat. Serve with your favorite burger bun or over a bed of salad. ENJOY!
*ground flax seeds, preferably freshly ground.
**you can get the quinoa recipe HERE.
Make it heart-healthy
- Reduce salt to 1 tsp. It still tastes pretty good.
- I have not tried it yet, but try baking burger patties at 350°F for about 25 minutes to bake instead of cooking with oil.
Serving: 2pattiesCalories: 240kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 6gFat: 8gSodium: 194mgPotassium: 492mgFiber: 6gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 8300IUVitamin C: 10.7mgCalcium: 60mgIron: 2.7mg