Creamy Tomato Soup (Vegan)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 44 minutes
This antioxidant-rich tomato soup is super creamy, thanks to the secret ingredient almonds. Fresh basil and freshly-ground black pepper perfectly complement this soup.
- 2 tbsp water* (for sweating veggies, or sub with 1 tsp avocado or any other oil)
- 2 white onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 lb fresh tomatoes (~7-8 medium-size roma or any other variety except cherry tomatoes, chopped, or replace with 28-oz can fire-roasted tomatoes, low-sodium
- 2 carrots (medium, grated, ~1 cup)
- 4 tbsp almonds (soaked for at least 6 hours and peeled)
- 1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste, no more than 1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil (optional, roughly chopped)
- 4 tbsp fresh basil (or sub with 3 tsp dried basil, roughly chopped)
- 2 cups Homemade vegetable broth (or sub with store-bought low-sodium broth)
Heat a heavy bottom soup pot over low-medium heat. Add a minute add a drop or two of water; the water should sizzle. Add 2 tbsp of water followed immediately by chopped onion, garlic, and salt. Cook the onion and garlic until soft (~3-4 minutes).
Add carrots, almonds, and dried basil (if using) and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Add the chopped tomatoes and freshly-ground black pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes, with the pot partially covered.
Add the vegetable broth and bring it to a boil (~15 minutes) over medium high heat. Add the fresh basil and simmer over medium-low heat, partially covered for about 10 minutes.
Once done, rest the soup for about 10 minutes. Add to a blender and blend until well-mixed and creamy. Enjoy with your favorite croutons or a dash of olive oil.
*I often use no-oil sauté method to sweat the veggies, especially if using other ingredient with fat, in this case almonds. Please look up
Ditch-the-oil Cooking Method.
Calories: 109kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 382mg | Potassium: 629mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5699IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1mg