What do you usually have for breakfast if you are in a hurry? Well, if you miss this important meal of the day for the lack of time in the morning, this energizing chocolate cherry smoothie offers a filling, nutritious breakfast that tastes like a dessert.
The cherry season is on the wane; maybe a couple of weeks more. Of course, you can always use frozen cherries to make this decadent smoothie. Rich in antioxidants, cherries make an excellent dessert on their own. However, cherry and chocolate combination is made in the heaven.
Choose healthy fats
I think when it comes to macronutrients–fat receives a lot of attention. Either we despise (fat-free diet) it or embrace it (Keto diet) with full arms. A quick rule for choosing fats, especially if you are over 40, is to avoid or minimize saturated fats, the kind found in animal food products and a few plant-based ingredients such as coconut. Embrace omega-3 and mono- and poly-unsaturated fats. And avoid trans fats like the plague. The universal truth is that fat is an essential nutrient–meaning we absolutely need it–for us to live (more on this later). The biggest benefit of eating fat is that it keeps us satiated for a long time, which can prevent overeating.
of all the types of fats, Omega-3s remain low in our diet. Hemp hearts, shelled hemp seeds, used in this energizing chocolate cherry smoothie, are an excellent source. You can buy hemp hearts in most grocery stores in the natural section. I often buy it online; Amazon.com offers the best price on hemp hearts. Be sure to store hemp hearts in refrigerator after opening.
Choice of protein
Much like fat, protein also has the power to keep you full for a long time. I often use cooked chickpeas in my smoothies to add protein (and fiber). I have tried many other types of lentils and bean, but chickpeas pass the test every time in not changing the flavor of the smoothie. An easier option is plant-based protein powder. My favorite brands are Sunwarrior and Garden of Life. About half a scoop works great in this smoothie.
You may also like other smoothies on TLC:
Meal plan the energizing chocolate cherry smoothie for breakfast or snack
The only meal planning tip for making this yummy smoothie is to put all the ingredients on your grocery list. You can whip this up in less than 20 minutes.
Energizing Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- 3/4 cup almond milk (no-waste recipe, or store bought)
- 1/3 cup water (filtered, preferably at room temperature)
- 1/4 avocado* (ripe, peeled and cubed)
- 1/2 cup cherries (fresh or frozen, fresh used in this recipe)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder**
- 1/3 cup chick peas (cooked, or sub with 1/2 scoop of plant-based protein powder)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt (Pink Himalayan used, optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp unsweetened dried shredded coconut flakes
- 5 leaves fresh mint (optional)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds (or equal amount ground flax seeds)
- 1 medjool date (optional)
- Have all the ingredients ready near the blender. Wash the cooked chickpeas under running water (if using). Wash cherries and mint leaves under running water. Either use a cherry pitter to pit cherries or cut around the seed.
- Add all the ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!